How to Cook Myanmar Mohinga
The word Mote was first used in the literature of Konbon period (18-19 century AD). U Pu Nya, a famous playwright of Konbon period wrote “round rings like Motehin “. in one of his plays. Mote is the same as Mohinga. It can be assumed that Mohinga was already in existence in the period. Because Mohinga is called Mote in some regions.
Moreover, a lot of equipment used in making rice powder and dough were unearthed lately. The earliest objects were from Pyu period. Considering this fact, we can come to the conclusion that since the time rice was first eaten there were snacks made from rice and Mote and Mohinga, which were eaten as a substitute of rice. So we can assume that the origin of Mohinga began from Pyu period (1-9 century AD)
MOHINGA, the mouth-watering scent of Myanmar itself, is all things to all lovers of fine food – both in this country and overseas. The unmistakeable aroma of the hot fish-paste soup over rice noodles is inextricably linked with the food traditions of the country.
Mohinga , or rice noodle served with fish soup, is the favourite Myanmar dish mostly enjoyed at breakfast or on special occasions.
Mohinga ,a kind of soup that the main ingredient is fish, is the most popular food in Myanmar. Many foreigners ,who are familiar with Myanmar and its culture, know or have heard of Mohinga as well love Mohinga as much as Myanmars.
* 1 Large Cat Fish (cleaned).
* Fish Sauce/Lobster Sauce/Shrimp Sauce 15 ticals (0.5 lbs)
* 2 Lemon Grass Stalks
* 2 large yellow onions
* 1/3 large red onion
* 6 cloves garlic
* 1 inch ginger
* 1 lime
* 1 handful cilantro
* 6 tbsp peanut oil
* 1 tsp shrimp paste (optional)
* 3-7 tbsp fish sauce
* 1 1/2 tsp Turmeric
* 1 tsp chili flakes
* 1 tsp paprika
* 1 large package rice noodles
* 2 Yau Jah Guai (optional)
Directions on How to Cook Myanmar Mohinga :
This recipe begins with the reduction of an onion paste, and then the creation of a soup base.
Reduction of Onions:
1. In a blender or food processor, make a paste of 2 large onions, 6 cloves garlic, 1 inch sliced ginger, and 1 tsp chili flakes. (apple sauce consistency). I usually just chop these ingredients finely with a knife instead of blending them. Traditionally this step is done using a pestle and mortar to mash the ingredients to a paste – too much work for me!
2. In a large frying pan or wok, heat 6 tbsp peanut oil and then add in the onion paste. Reduce with moderate heat 30-50 minutes until the paste is reddish-brown.
Cut about 15 ticals of the onions into thin slices, fry them and take out from the oil after you get a reddish brown color. Do not throw away the oil.
Cut the rest of the onions into four pieces.
Creation of Soup Base:
While paste is reducing in one pan, We can create the soup base in a large pot.
3. Add the fish, 4 1/2 cups water, lemon grass stalks, and 1/2 tsp turmeric in a large soup pot. This will smell so good as it cooks!
Wash fish clean; rub with fish sauce and some salt. Cut the fish into three pieces and put them in a pot with some lemon grass stalks. You don’t have to put water. Or just add a bit of water. When the fish is cooked enough to flake off easily, put it down. Take out flesh and set it aside. Take out the fish bones and pound them. When you pound the bones, put some water, so as to get some fish stock out of the bones. You can throw the bones away when there is no fish stock to get out of the bones.
3a. Boil the fish until it is just cooked. Strain out the soup and save it aside. Pull the fish meat off the bone and set it aside for later too.
Pound ginger, some onions and garlic as required amount.
Heat the oil that you fried the onions with. When the oil is smoking, fry pounded ginger, onions and garlic with some paprika till fragrant. Then add the fish stock/broth that made out of the fish bones.
Then add the gram flour, rice powder in water into the pot. Stir well to prevent sticking of paste.
When all is hot and boiling, put big onion pieces in the pot. You can also add banana stem (1’ length) if you like. Remove the outer layers of the stem and cut rings from tender insides. Pound and add lemon grass bulb.
When it starts to boil, you don’t have to stir all the time. You can add the flaked fish now. Add fish sauce/shrimp sauce to taste.
When the mo-hinga soup is cooked, put the pot on low heat. You then add pepper powder and fried onions into the pot. Keep the pot hot at low heat about 30 minutes.
Tying it all together:
4. After the paste is reduced to a thick and dark reddish-brown paste in the wok, add 1 tsp shrimp paste (smash it around), 1 tsp paprika, 1 tsp turmeric, the fish meat, and 1 or 2 cups fish stock. Simmer 5 minutes.
5. Pour everything together into a large pot. Add the fish broth and meat we set aside earlier, 10 cups water, 1/3 of a red onion (finely chopped), 1 tsp roasted rice powder.
6. Bring to light boil while stirring to finish red onions.
7. Boil the noodles. In another large soup pot, boil water over hight heat enough to cover the rice vermicelli.
8. When the water boils, add in the dry rice vermicelli. Turn off the heat and cover the noodles for 10 minutes.
9. When the noodles are just soft, drain the hot water and rinse the noodles briefly with cold water.
10. Put some of the noodles in your bowl. Cover the noodles with the soup – enough to cover the noodles.
11. Serve with cilantro, lime wedges, hard boiled eggs, and your favorite hot sauce. Add a few tsp of fish sauce to add the salty flavore (to taste).
Other Myanmar Traditional Food
3. Mote Lone Yay Paw Myanmar Thingyan Food
Tags: cat fish, creation of a mohinga soup, favourite myanmar dish, fish paste soup over rice noodles, How to Cook Myanmar Mohinga, mohinga, mohingar, most popular food in myanmar, mouth-watering myanmar food, myanmar national food, myanmar noodle, myanmar traditional food, reduction of an onion paste, rice noodles, unmistakeable best myanmar food
Receive the latest post by email.
Know the updates by subscribing
- Malaysian Model Girls/Malaysian Celebrities (4)
- Myanmar Model Girls Photos (52)
- Myanmar Model Boys Photos (8)
- Myanmar Actress Photos (16)
- Myanmar Actor Photos (4)
- Myanmar Celebrity photos (35)
- Myanmar Female Singers Photos (3)
- Myanmar Male Singers Photos (5)
- Myanmar Food Photos (3)
- Myanmar National Races Photos (8)
- Foreign celebrities photos (142)
- Korean model girls/Korean celebrity (40)
- Cute Vietnamese Girl (53)
- Taiwanese model girl/Taiwan celebrity (17)
- Latest world news photo (16)
- Chinese Model-Chinese celebrities-Chinese Actress (36)
- Singapore Model-Celebrities-Actress-Actors (10)
- Hottest Filipino model girl (5)
- Thailand Beautiful Model-Celebrities Photos (6)
- Sexy Sports Babes/Hot Athletic Celebrities (9)
- United State Super Model/Celebrities (22)
- Hong Kong Celebrities (9)
- Indonesian Sexy Model Actress (3)
- Japanese Supermodel/Celebrities Photos (6)
- Hot Russian Model Girls (5)
- Hottest Argentinean Girls (3)
- Brazilian girls in bikini (4)
- Sexy Australian Girls (3)
- New Zealand's Sexiest Girl (1)
- Hot Canadian girls (3)
- Hottest British Babes (2)
- Korean Actor (6)
- Master’s Sun So ji sub Gong hyo jin Cutest Moments
- Korean Master’s Sun
- Nann Thiri Maung Myanmar Hot Girl Bikini
- Myanmar popular model girls
- Myanmar Hot Girl 2013
- Nann Thiri Maung Myanmar New Face Model
- Nang Thiri Maung Myanmar New Photos
- Nann Thiri Maung Myanmar Sexy Model
- Nang Thiri Maung Myanmar Cute Girl
- Nang Thiri Maung Myanmar Sexy Model Girl