Myanmar Laphet Thoke လက္ဖက္သုတ္
Pickled Tea Leaves Salad (Laphet Thote)
One of the famous side-dishes of Myanmar is la phet thote (လက္ဖက္သုတ္). La Phet means pickled tea leaves and thote means salad. So if you translate in English, it’ll be “Pickled Tea Leaves Salad”.
Lahpet, also spelt laphet, is Burmese for fermented or pickled tea. Burma is one of very few countries where tea is eaten as well as drunk. Its pickled tea is unique in the region, and is not only regarded as the national delicacy but plays a significant role in Burmese society.
Laphet or pickled tea leaves with a dash of oil and served with sesame seeds, fried garlic and roasted peanuts, is another popular snack typical of Myanmar.
It has a mixed taste of light sweet and bitter. These tealeaves are also a kind of herbal leaves and largely grown in Palaung Hills in North east of Myanmar.
The tea leaves like cool weather thriving at a place of high and shady trees at a place of 4 thousand feet high above sea level. The tea sprouts are harvested between April and October every year. Two leaves and a sprout at the top of the tea plant are plucked gently. Tea leaves plucked before April are the best.
After plucking the tealeaves, they are kept in open air to keep away from heat. Later, the tealeaves are put in an oven and steamed for 5 minutes. Then, the tealeaves are spread on a short table and rolled by a team of worker. Rolled tealeaves filled big baskets in no time by collective work of Palaung youths. Plastic sheets are spread in the baskets to save the tealeaves from softening and getting rot. And then stones are put on the leaves for tenderising.
After tenderising for 2 days, the pickled tealeaves are sieved for separation of tender and rough leaves. Rough leaves are cut and then mixed with tender leaves. Then the pickled tea becomes marketable for sale.
Young and old in Myanmar fond of the pickled tea, which is a traditional delicacy. The pickled tea, mixed with fried garlic, sesame and groundnut, is served at merit sharing ceremonies and weddings.
It depicts friendship and hospitality.We invite you to visit our hill ranges where tea is grown. We will entertain you with a plate of delicious pickled tea, which is rich in mixed light sweet and bitter tastes.
La Phet Thote Recipe
1. Pickled Tea Leaves
2. Roasted Sesame Seeds
3. Roasted Peanuts (skinned)
4. Roasted Mini Chick Peas
5. Roasted Broad Peas
6. Chopped Tomato (extra ingredient)
7. Chopped Cabbage (extra ingredient)
8. Dried Prawns (extra ingredient)
9. Peeled Garlic (extra ingredient)
10. Green chili (extra ingredient)
1. a pinch of salt
2. some soy sauce
3. oil (peanut oil or corn oil)
4. lemon juice
The dressing is added if you’re going to mix them all together. If not, they are to be mixed in the pickled tea leaves.
Other Myanmar Traditional Food
3. Mote Lone Yay Paw Myanmar Thingyan Food
Receive the latest post by email.
Know the updates by subscribing
- Malaysian Model Girls/Malaysian Celebrities (4)
- Myanmar Model Girls Photos (52)
- Myanmar Model Boys Photos (8)
- Myanmar Actress Photos (16)
- Myanmar Actor Photos (4)
- Myanmar Celebrity photos (35)
- Myanmar Female Singers Photos (3)
- Myanmar Male Singers Photos (5)
- Myanmar Food Photos (3)
- Myanmar National Races Photos (8)
- Foreign celebrities photos (142)
- Korean model girls/Korean celebrity (40)
- Cute Vietnamese Girl (53)
- Taiwanese model girl/Taiwan celebrity (17)
- Latest world news photo (16)
- Chinese Model-Chinese celebrities-Chinese Actress (36)
- Singapore Model-Celebrities-Actress-Actors (10)
- Hottest Filipino model girl (5)
- Thailand Beautiful Model-Celebrities Photos (6)
- Sexy Sports Babes/Hot Athletic Celebrities (9)
- United State Super Model/Celebrities (22)
- Hong Kong Celebrities (9)
- Indonesian Sexy Model Actress (3)
- Japanese Supermodel/Celebrities Photos (6)
- Hot Russian Model Girls (5)
- Hottest Argentinean Girls (3)
- Brazilian girls in bikini (4)
- Sexy Australian Girls (3)
- New Zealand's Sexiest Girl (1)
- Hot Canadian girls (3)
- Hottest British Babes (2)
- Korean Actor (6)
- Master’s Sun So ji sub Gong hyo jin Cutest Moments
- Korean Master’s Sun
- Nann Thiri Maung Myanmar Hot Girl Bikini
- Myanmar popular model girls
- Myanmar Hot Girl 2013
- Nann Thiri Maung Myanmar New Face Model
- Nang Thiri Maung Myanmar New Photos
- Nann Thiri Maung Myanmar Sexy Model
- Nang Thiri Maung Myanmar Cute Girl
- Nang Thiri Maung Myanmar Sexy Model Girl